We made this colored rice for preschool today and used it for about 3 or 4 different activities because Lucy enjoyed it so much. I'm sure you've seen it before, but it's such an easy recipe and the kids can help make it (which is good for us because I'm always looking for something to make with Lucy besides cookies.)
Recipe adapted from www.dltk-kids.com
1 Cup Colored Rice
*2 teaspoons rubbing alcohol
*12 drops liquid food coloring (color of choice) -for a deep color
*1 cup uncooked white rice or any pasta
*parchment paper or silpat
1. In a ziplock bag, combine alcohol rub and food coloring.
2. Pour in the rice and close the bag.
3. Shake the bag well (like the shake and bake stuff)...the kids can really have fun helping with this part.
4. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and pour the rice onto it.
5. Let dry for about 1/2 a day in a warm and airy place OR bake at 200 F for 10-15 minutes.