Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Best Ever Sugar Cookies

I have found that people definitely have an opinion on what sugar cookie they think are the best. I have tried many, many recipes and this one from my childhood is still my favorite. To be honest, it is probably more of a shortbread cookie, but I use it for most of my cutout cookies. The reason I like it: the flavor (buttery sweet). I also like my cookies soft, so I roll them thick and make sure not to overcook them. They are great with or without frosting.

Best Ever Sugar Cookies

2 C butter (I do half margarine half butter)
2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
4-5 C flour (I add this at the end just until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl...too much flour = dry cookies)
1/2 t mace (optional...I don't always add this)
1/2 t salt
2 t baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together butter, sugar, & eggs. Mix in dry ingredients until dough just pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Let chill for at least an hour. Roll to about 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, cut out and bake for 10-12 minutes. Bottoms will be light golden brown. Cook longer for a crispier cookie.

1 comment:

The Kartchners said...

these are still my favorite as well